top of page

Direct Register Shares from Trading 212

Updated: Apr 4

Disclaimer: This guide is still a work in process whileTrading 212 rolls out the new service.

Since February 2024, Trading 212 has introduced "portfolio transfers" to allow users to move their assets to other brokers without having to sell them first. You can read more about it from Trading 212 here and see their list of approved brokers here. Although for this example we will be using IBKR, which is not on the list but still possible to transfer to. We chose them because IBKR can DRS transfer reliably for a $5 fee.

If you wish to use a broker from their list, here are the UK brokers from the list that we know that can DRS transfer: Bank of Scotland, Charles Stanley, Halifax, HSBC, IG, iWeb, and Lloyds Bank. Some of these brokers charge fees to DRS transfer, and some charge fees for the account. So take a look at what would be the best fit for you.

How to transfer:

You need to initiate the transfer with both Trading 212 and the receiving broker. Starting with Trading 212:

  • Go to the ‘Menu’ tab in your account.

  • Select ‘Portfolio transfers’.

  • Choose which type of transfer you wish to execute (partial, or full).

  • Choose the assets you wish to transfer.

  • Select the broker you wish to transfer to. If the broker you wish to transfer to isn't on the list, you can select "other".

  • Sign the electronic transfer request form and confirm.

Next, log in to your IBKR account and make the request from there as well.

  • Login in your IBKR account, and click on “Transfer & Pay” from the top menu and select “Transfer Positions”.

  • On the next page select “Ingoing”.

  • On the next page select “All Other Regions” from the drop down menu.

  • On the next page select “Basic FOP Transfer".

  • Select TRADING 212 on the drop down list.

  • Put your Trading 212 account number in the field: “Your Account Number at the Financial Institution".

  • Choose your account type (most likely individual).

  • Put the Country “United Kingdom”.

  • Put the Contact Email

  • You have to add the asset you want to transfer, click on “AddAsset".

  • In the pop up window, search which stock you'd like to transfer (GME).

  • Then click on “Search".

  • On the next page, click on the row “GAMESTOP CORP-CLASS A / NYSE".

  • Put how many shares you'd like to transfer.

  • Click on “Save and Finish".

  • On the next page you'll see a summary of the transfer. Write in your name as it shows on the page and click on “Continue”.

  • Interactive Brokers will then generate a Letter of Instruction for you.

  • Click on “View Form”, then click on “Print”.

  • Print, sign, and scan back the form back in.

  • Once you have the Letter of Instruction signed and scanned in, login to Trading 212 and send a secure message.

  • For the message write: “Please see the attached letter as authorization for my request to transfer the securities held in my account (or stocks and shares ISA) over to my Interactive Brokers Account as detailed in the attached Letter of Instruction”.

  • Attach the Letter of Instruction.

  • Click on "Send".

The transfer should be performed within 30 days. You will receive a notification from Trading 212 confirming that the transfer was successfully performed.

After your shares reach IBKR:

Now you are able to request the DRS transfer from IBKR to Computershare.To do this you can follow our guide on how to DRS transfer from IBKR (link to guide here).

2,911 views0 comments


If you have any corrections, or know of any other brokers, please let us know through the feedback page!

bottom of page