Fill out W-8 BEN Form

This is only needed for non-US Citizens

If you open a Computershare US account, and are not a US citizen: You must complete the W-8 BEN form.
A crucial part of completing your Computershare profile is confirming your tax status as a non-US Citizen, in order to do this you need to complete a W-8 BEN form. Computershare will send you a physical one you can fill out and post back. You can also complete it online quickly and for free.


Please note, completing it online will often result in a timeout error.


You can either persist and eventually it will work, or you can go to “User Preferences” and change the “Regional Settings” from the United States, to your local region. Then go to your browser settings and change your language to English (US). If this works for you, skip to the instructions below on how to fill in the W-8 BEN form.

If that fix doesn't work, you can use the enhanced version of the site instead. To access it you must:

  • Go to your portfolio​.

  • Under your share holdings click "View Details".

  • Next to your name, number of shares and value click "Actions".

  • From the pop up menu click "Account Details".

  • At the bottom of the list there is a section called "Expecting more details?" Click on it.

  • This section says "This site is enhanced to provide efficient access to the Investor Center features most commonly accessed fro your device. You may access the full Investor Center site."

  • Click on the link below that text.

  • You'll now be on an older version of the site.

  • Under the purple avatar on the right, click "Profile".

  • In the Tax Details section, click "Update" and follow the instructions to complete the form.


How to fill in the W8-BEN form:

  • Login to Computershare.

  • Under “What would you like to do?” select “View and update your profile”​​.

  • Select “Tax Details” from the menu on the left.

  • Click on the “Certify Tax Status” button next to your portfolio info.

  • Select “I am NOT a US person or resident Alien” and click "Next".

  • On the next page, leave “U.S. Taxpayer Identification Number" blank.

  • Select your date of birth from the calendar pop-up.

  • For “Foreign Tax Identifying Number (FTIN)” use your country's tax ID.

  • Examples would be: Unique Tax Identifier or National Insurance Number.

  • Select your country of citizenship.

  • Confirm whether or not the address on your account is your permanent residency. If not then you will need to provide this address.

  • Under “Claim of Tax Treaty Benefits” you select your country of permanent residency, this is because some countries have a tax treaty with the US. (This will not apply to most people).

  • Finally check the box and click "Next".


At this point you will either get the time out error, or you will have completed the form! If it was successful, Computershare will send you an email shortly afterwards confirming it.

If you have any corrections, or know of any other brokers, please let us know through the feedback page!