top of page

Direct Register Shares from Sparkasse

Updated: Oct 21, 2023

Sparkasse requires you have an existing Computershare US account before they will direct register your shares.

Therefore, they will ask you for a Computershare account number. For security reasons it is not recommended to give this information to your broker, but in this case there may not be another choice. With Computershare accounts, the account number is the "key" that allows brokers to authorize a transfer of shares out of the DRS and back to the broker.

If you provide your account number to initiate the transfer, it is recommended to protect your Computershare account by making a small change to your name or address to block any unauthorized attempts at withdrawing your direct registered shares. Such as adding or removing a middle initial, or making a subtle enough change to your address that you can still receive your snail mail (add or remove a borough, or a space in your postal/zip code).

Only do this when you are confident you are finished transferring your shares from your broker to the DRS, and if you are confident you do not want to move your shares back to your broker.

Please Note; if you have GS2C shares, you can convert them to GME for free with Sparkasse. If you want to transfer to IBKR, you will need to use the Cross Border Transfer solution detailed in this guide .

If you don't have a Computershare US account:

The only way to open one as a non-US citizen is to transfer shares to them, which is possible with IBKR (see our guide for direct registering from IBKR here). You can also use

How to Transfer from Sparkasse to Computershare:

  • Once your GS2C shares are settled in Sparkasse, contact your "Savings Bank Advisors" and request a "Depository Transfer" from GS2C to GME.

  • Then request a "Deposit Transfer" to Computershare.

  • For the message you can write: "I would like to request a Depository Transfer for my Gamestop shares from GS2C to GME. In addition, I would like to make a transfer of the Gamestop shares to my existing securities account at Computershare after the depository change. I agree with all possible costs. You can send me the necessary documents by e-mail. <insert your e-mail here> . "Thank you" <insert your name here> .

  • Sparkasse will now contact you and email you 2 documents to fill out.

  • The first document is called "Depotbuchung/Spiegelbuchung".

  • Write in the number of shares you want to convert.

  • You must write in the free text field that a depository change from GS2C to GME is desired.

  • Sign the document.

  • The second document is called "Securities Transfer Without Creditor Change".

  • For the recipient's securities account number enter your Computershare account number (C000XXXXX).

  • For street address write: P.O. Box 505005, Louisville, KY 40233-5005.

  • For Credit Institution of the Recipient: Computershare Trust Company, N.A.

  • Then fill in the number of Gamestop shares you want to transfer.

  • Sign the document.

  • BLZ or BIC are not required.

  • Then hand in the documents at your local Sparkasse branch.

The transfer will take 5-10 business days.

If you have an existing Computershare account:

Your broker will DRS transfer the shares based on your name and address. As a result, a second account may be created for you. This can be for a few reasons, such as a middle initial existing on one account, but not the other. If your name and address match exactly, then the transfer will process within the normal amount of time. If not, then it will take another 2-4 weeks for the account to be made and the DRS Account Statement sent out to you.

Tax Form:

At this stage it is important to first verify your tax status as a non-US citizen. While logged into your account, go to the My Profile tab, then “Tax Details”. A guide on how to fill in the W-8 BEN form is linked here.

You must fill in the W-8 BEN form before you buy any shares through Computershare, or add your banking information (especially if it's a US dollar account). Otherwise you will be assumed to be a US citizen.


If you have any corrections, or know of any other brokers, please let us know through the feedback page!

bottom of page