top of page

Direct Register Shares from LHV Bank

Updated: Apr 11, 2023

LHV Bank requires that you have an existing Computershare U.S. account before they will direct register your shares.

Therefore, they will ask you for a Computershare account number. For security reasons it is not recommended to give this information to your broker, but in this case there may not be another choice. With Computershare accounts, the account number is the "key" that allows brokers to authorize a transfer of shares out of the DRS and back to the broker.

If you provide your account number to initiate the transfer, it is recommended to protect your Computershare account by making a small change to your name or address to block any unauthorized attempts at withdrawing your direct registered shares. Such as adding or removing a middle initial, or making a subtle enough change to your address that you can still receive your snail mail (add or remove a borough, or a space in your postal/zip code).

Only do this when you are confident you are finished transferring your shares from your broker to the DRS, and if you are confident you do not want to move your shares back to your broker.

How to transfer

LHV Bank charges a €10 fee for each DRS transfer. This means each time you want to direct register shares of a specific stock (no matter how many shares) you are charged €10.

If you don't have a Computershare US account:

The only way to open one as a non-U.S. citizen is to transfer shares to them, which is possible with IBKR (see our guide for direct registering from IBKR here), or to use

Once your Computershare account is open:

Once your shares and €10 have settled in your LHV account, you can request the DRS transfer by filling in a FOP transfer form and including the extra DRS info in the notes of the form.

  • Log in to LHV Bank and go to "RAHA KASVATAMINE - Makseta väärtpaberikanne".

  • There you can access the FOP transfer request form.

  • When filling in the transaction dates, make sure they're the same as the day you purchased the shares. The value date is always 5 business days after the transaction date.

  • Then in the "Additional Information About the Transfer" box, enter:

    • The Transfer Agent's name, address and DTC number. In GameStop's case that's: Computershare US. DTC# 7807. Computershare Trust Company, N.A., P.O. Box 505005, Louisville, KY 40233-5005.

    • The full name you are registering the shares in (your name most likely).

    • Your Computershare account number.

    • Your US tax ID if you're a U.S. citizen, if not state you are a "Non-Resident Alien" so you have no SSN to provide.

    • Your home address.

    • LHV Bank has said you should put in a transfer request with Computershare, but since Computershare is a transfer agent and not a broker they cannot initiate any transfers. So include a statement saying that LHV Bank needs to contact Computershare and initiate the transfer, as Computershare is a Transfer Agent and not a broker.

  • Submit the FOP transfer request.

The transfer will take 10-25 business days to process. If you're feeling uncertain you can check in with LHV Bank by starting a chat online.

If you have an existing Computershare account:

Your broker will DRS transfer the shares based on your name and address. As a result, a second account may be created for you. This can be for a few reasons, such as a middle initial existing on one account, but not the other. If your name and address match exactly, then the transfer will process within the normal amount of time. If not, then it will take another 2-4 weeks for the account to be made and the DRS Account Statement sent out to you.

Tax Form:

At this stage it is important to first verify your tax status as a non-US citizen. While logged into your account, go to the My Profile tab, then “Tax Details”. A guide on how to fill in the W-8 BEN form is linked here.

You must fill in the W-8 BEN form before you buy any shares through Computershare, or add your banking information (especially if it's a US dollar account). Otherwise you will be assumed to be a US citizen.



If you have any corrections, or know of any other brokers, please let us know through the feedback page!

bottom of page